Monday, January 18, 2016

What a Woman!

Did you ever hear that old Steve Wariner song “(It’s Not What I Did,) It’s What I Didn’t Do” from back in the ‘80s?  Today as I reflect on a woman whom I love dearly, I’d like to tell you a few things Betty McAlister Lewis didn’t do.


2013-08-29 026.JPG

From our first meeting on February 28, 2013, Betty did not ignore me.  I had attended a Bible Study Class at Mountain Grove Baptist Church and she was quick to welcome me and follow up with me.  We became Facebook Friends immediately and since that day, there has not been a week that has gone by that Betty has not reached out to me in some way.


Another thing Betty didn’t do was fail to praise me.  Whether she commented on my Wandering Through The Bible Blogs (she was my number two supporter!) with her own anecdotes or encouraging words of empathy, Betty never ceased to amaze me with her love and grace as I muddle my way through my experiences with Christ and with life.


BS Birthdays @ Fatz 2013-12-12 004.JPG

Thirdly, Betty didn’t hound me.  When I no longer attended the Bible Study, she still checked on me.  She questioned whether or not I was in another, prayed for me to find a church that I could grow in and be a part of, and genuinely cared about my personal growth in Christ.


Betty didn’t hold back.  When she believed in something or someone, she believed with all of her might.  If you were wrong, she called you on it--with love always and with strength in her convictions.


Betty.jpgBetty didn’t conceal her faith.  Her love for Jesus was noticed nearly every day on her Facebook page.  Whether it was a Bible verse, a special meme created, or just some words of encouragement to her family and friends, Betty shined.  She didn’t ever tell me to stop smiling.  Rather, she remarked each time she saw me on how beautiful my smile was, how it lit up the room, and how she missed me when I wasn’t around.


Betty didn’t live a perfect life.  Betty didn’t always have the faith she has now.  Betty didn’t always love without restraint.  Betty didn’t tell people she was perfect nor better than they were.  Betty didn’t do a lot of negative things that so many of us do daily.  Instead, what Betty did--and did well--was love.  With her heart.  With her actions.  With her faith.  She didn’t turn her back when the going got tough but pushed forward with determination to make situations better.  


B.jpg


Today, I celebrate Betty.  This beautiful lady that God placed in my life at a time when I needed loved so much.  This wonderful woman He gave to me as a precursor, as an example of how I am to live--boldly and without regrets.  Because of Betty, my heart is more tender, more loving, more accepting, and fuller.  I love this woman and I thank God for allowing our paths to not only cross but to allow us to walk on together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!