Sunday, January 31, 2016

So, how are those resolutions coming along?

Here we are, 31 days into the new year. The end of January is upon us and February looms, with its promises of love.
As my studying of Ecclesiastes continues and I combine it with my life verses for this year, the correlation is plain to see. You know how so many of us make resolutions at the beginning of each new year and before much time has passed, so have our best-laid schemes to keep them? Ahh, we humans are so fallible, aren't we?
"Wilt thou be made whole?" was the question Jesus asked the impotent man and the response of "I have no man..." still has me pondering on so many aspects of this verse from John 5:6. For instance, yesterday while Steve and I were on our way for a day of fun, we were discussing what we'd learned from the "Armor of God" study that we just completed. As we talked about the pieces of armor we felt most in need of, I reflected that the one about the shoes was pertinent in my life. For you see, Priscilla Shirer had asked us to name one thing specifically to focus on as we geared up to grow more deeply in Christ.
Without going into details, my "battle" was sadly one that involves my church. No surprise here but it is not perfect. There are people and beliefs and misunderstandings that lead to silly skirmishes that nonetheless have the potential--not the power, oh no--to wreak havoc amongst the members there. As Steve and I talked about the impotent man rising up to walk, I remarked that his feet must have been pretty unsteady. Lying around for 38 years will do that. I compared this to my trial with a certain issue and find that, yep: no matter what my resolutions, my resolve, and my preparations, the battle is still raging and I am still so desperately in need of a Savior to fight for me. On my own, I am too wobbly and need Jesus to tell me what to do each step of the way.
And that's the kicker, folks. The battle is not mine. It's not the church incidents that go on. It's the spiritual forces in higher places that are warring with one another. Satan wants to use us to tear down The Church and he's quite successful--but only if we foolishly think that somehow we can win this war on our own. He wants to keep us off balance, tottering on the edge of madness, and he mostly wants us to have no joy--especially in the church.
So although my feet are often unsteady and as I continue to try to move forward in spite of the wickedness going on all around me, I will also continue to rely on the Lord's direction, His commands, and His Truths to keep me focused, on task, and viable in this fight. "I have no man" is true and there are many things I must do on my own.  Thankfully though, I do have a Savior!Though the skirmishes are still going to happen, the battle is not mine.
Let's pray!
Dear Father, as the end of January is upon me, my reflections show some progresses made but also some failures in my attempts to rise and walk. Lord? Sometimes it seems that for each step forward, there are two back but as long as I am still standing, still steadying, and still seeking You there will be success. Victory in Jesus is a surety and as my struggles continue, when seen from Your eyes and Your heart, along with a great dose of wisdom from Your Word, I am confident that I will win. Maybe I'll have some extra scratches and bruises, but we both know that I am a lover not a fighter. I'll leave that to You, Jesus. Use my weaknesses to illuminate Your strengths is my prayer today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!