Saturday, June 4, 2016

Aha Moments

Day Four

I John 2 5-8.JPG


I wish I was a professional photographer.  For years, I've sought desperately to capture a picture with the light at the end of the tunnel and--as you can see by the one posted here--I have not been successful.

Today's verses for this June Study I am doing continue where the ones from yesterday left off.  They are also from I John 2:5-8 and say:

But whoever keeps His Word, in him truly the Word of God is perfected.  By this we may know that we are in Him.
Whoever says he abides in Him ought to walk in the same way which He walked.
Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning.  The old commandment is the Word that you have heard.
At the same time, it is a new commandment to you, which is true in you and in Him, because the darkness is passing away and the light is already shining.

I must confess to you that I have read these words several times and in many different versions of the Bible because they just weren't sinking in my ol' brain.  But now, I think I get it:  the old truths I learned from the beginning of my Jesus story are the same as before.  He loves me, died for me, and wants me to live for Him.  If He is truly in me, then my life will reflect that.  If I don't do/follow His commandments, then He is not in me, nor is His truth.

Remember that old expression "You are what you eat" and how as kids we imagined ourselves as pickles, chocolate bars, or French Fries?  Well, if we indeed are Christ's, His characteristics are going to be evident in us.  Just as identical twins are often dressed the same, our outer man will emulate that of Christ.  He is good; we are good.  He is merciful; we are merciful.  He is kind; we are kind also.

The last thing I want to share with you tonight is the last part of verse eight, that says "the darkness is passing away."  Like the light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes we have to go through something dark for the light to make it all clear to us again.  Sort of like an epiphany of when something we've heard for so long finally comes together and makes sense.  Those Aha Moments! are what John was referring to when he declared that what he was saying wasn't anything new but then again, perhaps it was because so many of us tend to be stubborn, hard-headed, and cold-hearted.  Let's not be that way anymore, friends.  Let's let the lessons taught to us from way back when be revisited with purer minds and souls that have evidenced these truths so that our understanding shines forth as the light of Jesus is already--and has been--shining for us.

Let's pray!

Dear Father, this morning when I first read this passage I was too rushed and harried.  Thank You for being patient with me to come back to You at the close of this day and for unclogging my mind so that I could once again see the simple truths You have prepared for me.  Like I do with my grandsons and husband--telling them something over and over until they finally do it--You have gently assisted me in keeping it simple.  If I love You, I will keep Your commandments.  If I am Your child, I will be accused of acting just like my Father.  What a nice thing that would be!  May I honor You, dear Lord God, with my reflection of Your image is my prayer tonight.  Love You!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!