Sunday, June 12, 2016

Day Twelve

Ephesians 4:31-32 says to:
"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."
Hmn: those absolute words like "all," "everybody," "anything," and "anyone" really give me pause.  I mean, I can let some of my bitterness go.  I can let go of most of my wrath.  Anger?  No problem in letting the majority of that be stuffed back down inside.  Clamor and slander?  Well, that's easy, too, 'cause I hardly ever talk badly about someone or try to stir up strife and discontentment.  Sooo, I'm doing pretty good, right?  And let's not forget that last one:  malice.  I mean, seriously:  I hardly ever want bad stuff to happen to those who deserve it most.  That Brock fella in the news the past few days?  Weelll, okay, I might have wished a little time for him to be alone with Tyrone in his jail cell but that's just a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of thought.

Ahem.

Let's move on to the other stuff.  Being kind is easy, as is being tenderhearted.  I have a big heart (not like Steve's whose is three sizes too small).  Those emotions come easily to me, as one who has been around the block many times and knocked off of her socks often.  Yeah, being nice is easy for me.

Uh oh.  Left something out again, huh?  "Forgiving one another"?  Um, sure, I forgive when someone asks me to.  After all, didn't I just mention I have a huge heart?  What kind of Christian would I be if I didn't forgive those who humble themselves in front of me and beg for my favor to be reinstated to them?  

Ahem.

"God in Christ forgave you."

Gulp.

On my own, left to my own devices, I think I'd score okay.  I'd "'pass" the test, wouldn't I?  I mean, God knows I'm not perfect right?  He can't expect me to do everything right.  Why, it'd be plum crazy for me to forgive those who have wronged me and didn't even apologize.  Right?

Exactly.  That's why the verse says "in Christ."  

Oh.  Yeah.  I see it.  In my own self-proclaimed righteousness I fall short, so short.  I'd never make it to first base, much less cross home plate.  Mercifully though, I do have Christ in me, my hope of glory.  My Teacher, Guide, and Helper.  My Example of all that is good, right, and holy.  And though I will never reach the heights He did nor achieve the perfection that He obtained, with His help I can slowly let go of the things that hold me back from obtaining these characteristics.  I can see them from His perspective and learn the lessons taught from them and aim ever higher for excellence.  And until that day arrives, I'll just keep studying His Word, do more doing and less hearing of the edicts taught, and mostly, rely more and more on Christ Jesus to be my side every step, every sigh, every thought of the way.  One day, I'll cross the finish line and my race will be over.  What a truly great day that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!