Thursday, June 30, 2016

Day Thirty

John 8:1-11 tells us but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them.  The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery.  Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?”  This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.  And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”  And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground.  But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.  Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”  She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”

John 8 1-11.jpg

Okay, where do I begin on this last passage of scripture for the month of June?  Do I speak of the ones who are always looking for fault and seeking it everywhere but inside of themselves?  Do I write about the know-it-alls who think scripture was meant for everyone else except for you-know-whom?  This woman who was thrown in the midst of such “wonderful” people:  do I expound on her story and her shame?  Or the lesson of casting the first stone that many of us have heard since our youth:  should I remind you of this teaching?  The stark realization that the accusers finally felt:  can I add anymore to it than they did when they walked away, heads bowed low, stones falling from their hands?  Lastly, do I pen the wonder of the woman’s salvation when she responded “Lord” when Jesus spoke to her--not “Teacher,” “Rabbi,” or “Sir” but “Lord”?  Hmn hmn hmn.  Decisions decisions!

Tell you what:  I think I shall let the Word speak for Itself today.  Not because I don’t have anything to add but instead because I just see so much of myself in the above verses.  I am the fault finder.  I am the accused as well as the accuser.  I am the one who dares to question God when I don’t see judgment immediately enforced.  I am the one whom Jesus quietly forgave when I had nothing with which to argue my defense--for I too am guilty.  Also, I am the one who has to walk away from the condemnation of my fellow man when there is so much in my own life that I should be stoned over.  But mostly?  I am the one whom the Lord forgave (remember yesterday’s blog?) and who now has the opportunity to be better, to go, to love as He loves.  This is tough for me, especially with all of the social issues out there begging for my two-cents- worth to keep funding the hate campaign.  

Sigh.  I am so glad God’s grace hasn’t run out!  Let’s pray!

Lord?  This has been an interesting and educational journey this month as Steve and I today complete this June Bible Verses Study on forgiveness.  Writing Your Word daily has helped me to hide It in my heart and for It to fester in my mind as I have pondered on It and often feasted on It as I learned more about forgiveness.

Thank You for this opportunity and I pray now that the lessons taught won’t be soon forgotten.  I ask You to bless what I’ve shared with others in hopes that something in my blogs will have struck a chord of agreement with those who read it.

Lastly, Father, I love You.  Your mercies are new every day.  Your arms are open, eyes watching, for me to run to You with my cares, my concerns, and my callousness as I realize how far from You I often am.  Mold me into Jesus’ image, I pray, so that one day this race will be over and I can come home.  I long to be in Your presence, God, and free from this world that so easily bogs me down.  I’m tired, Lord:  tired of the pretense, of the passiveness, and of the broken promises that so many of us make to one another.  Until my time is over, Sweet Lord, refresh me.  Hone me.  Make this broken vessel one which brings honor to You is my prayer.  I ask these things in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!