Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Walk in the Light

Day One of the June Scripture Writing Plan

{The challenge is that each of the daily scriptures takes ten minutes or less to copy out.  Commit to spending ten minutes each day listening to God's voice as you simply copy these texts out of your Bible.  I am furthering that challenge--for myself--to blog about each passage daily.}

I John 1:5-7 
This is the message we have heard from Him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.  If we say we have fellowship with Him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.  But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
When I first read this, I had to do a double check.  Wasn't this plan supposed to be on the topic of forgiveness?  As I was confirming, Steve was checking as well.  So, we proceeded to write it down and see just where it would take us.  Here's what we came up with.

In order to understand forgiveness, we have to be first made aware of the consequences of it. It reminded me of a conversation I had yesterday with my gals at Card Ministry as I was encouraging them to join me in this plan.  I said something to the effect of how so many of us think we are "okay" and "not mad at anyone" and then someone (like Shirley) says something and we realize how very much she gets on our nerves and then we are confronted with "where did that come from--that negative feeling?" and we realize we are harboring some grudge that we had suppressed perhaps.  Unaware of it until just that special moment, when it rears its ugly head and suddenly we are enveloped in darkness.

Do you see it?  Darkness.  Now go back to the scripture and there it is, the seventeenth word:  light.  "God is light and in Him is no darkness." Oops, don't skip those next two precious words:  "at all."  At all?  Seriously?  None?  Zilch?  Nada?  

For real, friends.  No darkness.  Thus, there can be no sin.  And what is sin?  It's a breach between doing what is right and what is wrong.  When things are right, they are obvious.  When they are wrong, they are hidden, covered, put into dark places.  They cower there, causing separation, causing fear, causing hate.

So then, are sin and forgiveness the same?  

No, not at all. But they do go hand in hand.  For you see, if we sin, fellowship is broken.  Restoration is needed to renew that right spirit.  And in order to have that, we must have the light, we must have Christ cleanse us from all sin.  And then?  Then we get to be in the light.  Cue dc Talk!  Their song "In The Light" almost immediately went through my head as I first read this passage this morning.   

In closing, I encourage you to examine yourselves.  Check those dark areas of your life you've been avoiding and let the light shine through them.  Aren't you tired of living in the shadows?  Come on out, friends.  The view is spectacular!  Once we fully understand our need for forgiveness, for light, then we can go on to being more like Christ.  

Let's pray!

Dear Father, I want to be in the light as You are in the light.  I want to shine like the stars in the heavens.  Oh Lord, be my Light and be my Salvation, 'cause all I want is to be in the Light!

Cleanse me from my darkened heart and unconfessed sins.  Teach me to let them go and to renew a steadfast spirit that honors You and the sacrifices Christ Jesus made so that I could have fellowship with You is my prayer.  Shine on me, Lord, I ask.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!