Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Day Seven


Today (finally!!) we get into the topic of forgiveness that this month-long study was going to be about.  Excited?  Me too!

In Sunday School this past week, we discussed the different versions of the Bible and which ones are the most alike.  As I read these verses this morning, I took note of the "seventy-seven times."  Thinking it must be a mistake, because I had always remembered it being "seventy times seven" I did a little research.  I wish I could explain simply what I found out but it's all Greek to me, plus a little Latin and in truth, I just sit here shaking my head, knowing what I read made sense yet still not in easy terms to relate to another.  So, like the point that Jesus Himself was making, it honestly doesn't matter how many times those brothers and sisters of ours sin against us, we are to forgive every time.

Every time?  Are you kidding me?  Do you know what s/he did--and it's not the first time, either?!  I can't keep being a doormat.  I can't keep being lied to. I I I.

And there it is, friends:  I.  Me.  Me me me.  

Um, can I ask you a question or two without sounding like a smarty-pants blogger?  How many things have you done wrong in your life?  How many times have you messed up and hurt someone else?  Lastly, who did this sin most affect?

On our way home last night, Steve told me about an epiphany (for lack of a better word.  Hey, I'm just impressed he knew what this one meant!) he had yesterday while pondering this issue of sin.  He set up the scenario--using the grandsons, of course--and how if one of them took the other's toy that he'd made for himself at a Lowe's Workshop and then broke it, who should he apologize to:  the toy or to the brother?  Being that God created us--man--then when someone does harm to that object--man--whom should be apologized to?  Who needs to be asked to forgive:  God or man?

Remember the story of David when Nathan accused him of his sin?  Remember David's response?  "Against thee only have I sinned!" he cried out to God in Psalm 51.  I must admit:  I always had trouble with this passage.  For you see, like David, I was shaped in my mother's womb through sin and brought forth with iniquity raging in me.  How dare David say he had only hurt God when so many more lives were at stake?  

Um, lives, or feelings, Stef?

Lives!  Of course lives.  Feelings too.  

Oh, so now you know the mind of Me?  Am not I The Potter and you the clay?  Maybe Stef, My dear child, you should go back and read Isaiah 45 and Romans 9:20.

Sigh.  Okay, God.  You win.  Again.  And again.  Seventy times seven You will always be right and I will be the one who needs to prostrate herself to You when I fall and when I fail.  Oh Lord:  it is indeed against You whom I have sinned against.  And while I still feel reparations should be given to the earthly injured parties, I see the truth of Steve's epiphany, of Your Holy Word, and the example You set before me to follow.  Like Peter, I want to impress You and often forget that that can be a source of pride in my life.  While it is not contrary to ask my brother to forgive me when I sin, I see that this is an after-effect, a consequence to a poor choice that I make each time I choose flesh over pleasing You.  Help me, dear Father, to be a vessel of honor and glory to You and when I stumble, please keep picking me up.

I will, My love.  I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!