Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day Fifteen

Day Fifteen

II Corinthians 2:9-11 says:  For this is why I wrote, that I might test you and know whether you are obedient in everything.  Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive.  Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, so that we would not be outwitted by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his designs.

Do you like to be called “stupid” or be told you are dumb, ignorant, or disobedient?  No, neither do I.  And yet, if one read these words written, twisted them just a little bit, the opportunity to be offended is there.  

Paul wrote this statement, telling the Corinthians he was testing them to see if they were obedient in everything.  He said he did this so that they would be aware of Satan and his schemes.  Ahh, there it is.  Do you see it?  The challenge to forgive is proof that we are indeed Christ’s children and are walking in His truths.  We don’t get to pick and choose what or whom we forgive.  We don’t get to hand select which wrongs can be forgiven and which we blatantly deem as unpardonable.

Christ didn’t lay stipulations out for us when He invited us into His kingdom.  He didn’t say “You can come, Stefanie, if you are perfect.  However, if you keep holding those grudges, keep hating your brother and condemning your sister, there is no place for you here.  If you don’t stop that addiction you have, I cannot allow you in.”  Well, sort of.

He did say He’d take my wretchedness and wash me as white as snow.  He did say He’d forgive me and then He encouraged me to follow His example and forgive others when they’ve wronged me.  He did tell me to stop hating, to stop condemning, to lean on Him for support rather than some drug, food, sex, or other object to try to replace what only He can fill.  But Christ Jesus didn’t expect me to do these things overnight.  Yes, He said “Be ye holy as I am holy.”  But in God’s infinite wisdom, He knew I’d never be able to do this on my own.  That’s why He sent Jesus to teach us, to redeem us, to love us.

And so Paul, as a servant to Christ, followed these teachings and then tested his students on them.  Did they pass?  Better still, would I?  Do I?  

Little reminders to be aware of Satan and his tricks, his schemes, his devices are given to us.  His arsenal is full.  He holds nothing back and has no sympathy for you, child of God.  Be aware.  Test yourselves if you are in the faith.  Mostly though?  Prove Christ true in all points, not just the easy ones.  Amen?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!