Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Stop and Smell the Roses

In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:6

Aren't the flowers in this picture so pretty?  I think so too!  The other day, Steve and I had some lunch at Sonic and there they were, sitting there in all of their glory, just being beautiful.  They didn't put up a sign to say "Notice us!"  They did have a radio broadcast crew out to tell of their fame.  Didn't have flyers printed to advertise that they are on display.  Nope.  They just sat there in the flower bed, basking in the sunlight, and providing me with inspiration.


The dictionary defines the word "acknowledge" as a verb which means:

 to admit to be real or true; recognize the existence, truth, or fact of:
 to show or express recognition or realization of:
 to show or express appreciation or gratitude for:
 to take notice of or reply to

I like these definitions.  I like how the words for one thing mean so much and how they point me to Jesus.  In Proverbs, we are given much direction and instruction about what it means to follow Christ.  In life, we are constantly made aware of just how easy it is to do these commands, to acquiesce to the calls of the Bible.  How can one not look around and see the mighty and magnificent wonders of our Lord?  From where I am sitting right now in my Pretty Purple Room, I am surrounded by images, sounds, and inanimate objects that all remind me of God.  For instance, if I look out my window, I see the branches of a tree, with a background of beautiful blue sky with just a faint tinge of white clouds in the distance.



The wind is softly blowing and occasionally a bird flits by.  How is all of this beauty available to me?  Easy!  I just have to open my eyes and observe it.   I only have to look up to see the wonders created for my enjoyment.  I only have to attune my ears to listen to the gentle sounds of nature--and tune out the ticking of the clock behind me that is trying to get me off focus.  After all, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of worshiping this morning?  If I concentrate on the minutes passing by that could be spent on other things--things that don't keep me watching for my Lord--then the devil wins.  

In all your ways, Stef, acknowledge the Lord.  All of them!  He gives me my next breath, my next vision, and my next thought.  Christ is all around me and I need to believe that He is guiding my steps, my fingers, my thoughts, and my purpose.  I must not be deterred by the squirrels of Satan as I spend these early moments communing with my God.  


Let's pray now.


Dearest Lord God, I cannot help but sit amazed at the wonders of You.  As I reflect on the pretty picture above and recall just how You don't have to use fanfare to get Your children's attention, I am humbled.  How much have I missed by being in such a hurry?  How many pretty flowers have I not enjoyed, how many little birds have sung their songs only to be ignored because I was listening to less-pleasing things?  How much time goes by without me acknowledging and thanking You for all of this?


Father, I do now thank You.  In my busyness and carelessness, You send gentle reminders of what is true, lovely, and of good report.  You direct my paths and lead me beside the still waters.  I notice this and take appreciation in the good things You send my way.  You are so special, Lord.  Thank You for creation.  Thank You for love.  Thank You for peace.  And thank You for You!  In the name of Jesus, amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!