Wednesday, August 14, 2013

John 10:10

Wandering Through the Bible

July 17


 

It all started out innocently enough. My family and I were enjoying an afternoon at Tweetsie. Steve and the boys were riding the Ferris Wheel while Ash and I watched from down below. It had been a good day. Sure, it was a little hot and we were getting tired but for the most part it had been a day of fun.

I was telling Ashley how riding the chair lifts was the best part for me. I have always wanted to fly and as I coasted down the Tweetsie Mountain and enjoyed the scenery below me, the blue, nearly cloudless sky above me, I couldn't help but worship God for His wonderful creation and for letting me see a bird's eye view of it.

Out of nowhere came a memory from last year. It was from when my sister had called me while the boys, Steve, and I were up at Tweetsie to tell me my mother's time was nearly over and that, even though "calling me was one of the hardest things she had ever done," she thought I should know that it had been rumored that my mother had been asking for me... or had regrets about our relationship.. or something. My sister wasn't quite clear about it because...well, we won't get into that. We also won't get into the subsequent call to my mother to verify these rumors and how she denied them. For you see, if we did that, then--like yesterday--my joy would be killed. My peace stolen. My forgiveness destroyed.

That's what Satan does. "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10)

For a moment yesterday, I nearly gave in to the unexpected attack. I nearly gave into the bitterness that once again reared its ugly head and tried to take me to places in my soul that I have already dealt with. I nearly--no, I did--fuss for a moment about how wicked they (this includes my brother, sister, and a few other choice people) were and how each one had his or her price and now we know what it was. Oh yes, for a moment, I was just the sparkling example to my daughter of how wonderful dear ol' Mom is and what a forgiving, leave-it-in-the-past soul I am. But before the devil tries to make me self-hate again, let's focus on the term "for a moment." Because, you see, through nothing but the grace of God, this moment was a temporary thing. I remembered what Christ has taught me: He came that I may have life and have it to the full. That's "full" not "fool." I am not going to be a fool for the wicked one again. Through God's grace and the necessary washing and rewashing of His Spirit over my soul, then I can remember the words, the truths He has taught me. I can remember that through Him, I have a new family, a new Father and Mother, new siblings, new folks that love me and cannot be bought out by this world.

Let's pray.

Dear Awesome Wonderful Father God,
You are so good to me! You took what the devil tried to use against me yesterday and changed it, changed me for good. Yes, I messed up when I fussed for a moment but that's the human side of me, the side You came to fix, to heal, to have an abundant life. Through Jesus, God, I can live a life that is unencumbered by things in my past that hurt me. They only hurt when I let them.
Help me to continue to take those thoughts captive that try to enslave me into a mire of bitterness and hate. Remove from my heart the wounds that still throb and are used against me by the devil. I don't want him to have any victories in me, Lord. I know sometimes I am an easy target so please help me, strengthen me, and continue teaching me that in You, I don't have to live that way any longer.
Thank You for Your grace and love. Thank You for Jesus. In His Name I pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!