Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Luke 10:40

Wandering Through the Bible

July 16

But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" (Luke 10:40)

Sunday after the NEXT at MGC service, Steve and I came home and turned on the tv. The pastor at Elevation Church, Steven Furtick, was preaching on Mary and Martha and it was quite entertaining--as well as enlightening. He was telling of Mary's virtues, of course, but jokingly--sort of--spoke of Martha and her woes. I won't recite the sermon (it's available on line) but what struck me the most was when he said a couple of things, such as commending Martha for first voicing her problem; next by voicing it to the only One Who could help her with it. He talked of how we often go to others and/or try to get them to jump on our bandwagon for support when what we really need is good, strong, spiritual advice.

How many times have I fussed, moped, and grined (FYI grine is a word I made up. It consists of gripe+whine=grine) when I felt overwhelmed, underappreciated, or just plain out that someone else was getting off easy while I did all the hard stuff? Too many times, that's how many! Instead of taking the easy, peaceful way I too too often stress about what needs to be done, is there enough food, will so and so get along with this one, did I put extra toilet paper in the bathrooms, is there enough ice...Tell you what: this kind of thinking, of worrying wears an old gal like me out--even before the preparations have begun!

I do have a lot on my mind most of the time. I do make lists, like pictured above, of all the things I need to do in a day. I came up with a great new way of solving this one morning in Bible Study with my friend Lisa. I made a column with an "I will..." list on the left hand side. On the right it said "And I will receive..." This was to help me to show the benefit of doing whatever chores were on it. For instance, I will wash the clothes...and I will be glad when I go to my closet and have plenty to choose from. I will read my Bible...and I will receive peace to start my day. Get the point?

But sometimes, even in my efforts to simplify by making these lists and telling myself that I need to relax, I forget to talk to God about it first. I forget to tell Him what I'm thinking--even though my thoughts are about Him and His work and pleasing Him, I forget to be a Mary and sit at His feet. This is needful and when I do it, it is indeed a much better beginning than when I get out my pencil and paper and write about what I need to do throughout the day.

Dear Lord God,
Sigh. I am such a slacker. My mind is constantly racing with all of the troubles of the day and my heart suffers for it. Please help me as I begin this day to think on You, to talk to You, to be still with You. You aren't interested in my works and plans to better Your kingdom if You haven't directed me to do such. Help me to be quiet, to learn more of You, to talk to You before talking to others. I am sorry for being a Martha. Help me to be more like Mary? In Jesus' Name I ask, amen!




 

Bottom of Form

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!