Saturday, August 17, 2013

Proverbs 17:22

Proverbs 17:22



 

I dare you to look at this picture and not smile. I sure can't.


 

This is my oldest grandson. Walker. How he makes me smile! What joy he brings to my soul! I tell you the truth: if he was not in my life, I would not smile as often as I do—which is a lot. The stories he tells. The mixed-up adages. For instance, the other day, his brother Connor was in his best "Thor" mode. Connor was wanting, and then insisting, that I fill up the peanut lid with more nuts for him to munch on. I had my hands full and told him, "Connor, not everyone is going to jump when you speak." Ever looking for a good time, Walker chimes in, "I will, Connor. Say something." Connor made one of his crazy noises and Walker immediately sprang into action, literally jumping up and down, to show me that indeed, someone would jump each time Connor spoke! Later, we were in the PPR (that's Pretty Purple Room to the layperson) and Walker sneezed. He began rubbing his nose and said, "Granny, my nozzle is itching." I looked at him deciphering what he had said, and a smile started in my eyes. "That's what it is, right? A nozzle?" I laughed and said, "Nostril." He began laughing with me as well and said he was going to call it his nozzle.

This boy, this small five-year-old kid, creates so much merriment in my life. Merry is a peculiar word. The Definition of MERRY, per Merirram-Webster, is

1archaic
: giving pleasure :
delightful

2: full of gaiety or high spirits :
mirthful

3: marked by festivity or gaiety

4:
quick, brisk <a merry pace>

There is definitely an air of festivity when Walker is around! And when he isn't? The air is noticeably different. Less delightful. Lower spirits. How can one spend a whole day with this kid, be almost be glad when it's time for him to leave because he has taken all of the life out of me, and then the moment the door shuts behind him, feel such an emptiness in her soul?

Isn't this how it is when one has experienced Jesus? He fills us, gives us so much pleasure, makes our hearts so happy, and we are filled to the brim of our souls when around His people. Then, when we leave the church service or the festivity or small group or Bible Study, we are immediately filled with a sense of loss? A sense of "why didn't I stay just a little bit longer?" A feeling of something being left behind that we want back.

It doesn't have to be this way. We can take Jesus with us everywhere we go! He can do us so much better than any medicine. He can make our dry old bones be filled with vigor and renew our joy. Will we let Him? Will we take Him with us wherever we might go?

Sometimes my face hurts from smiling so much and my ribs ache a smidge from the laughter I experience when my two gsons are around. But it's a good hurt, a great medicine for my cynical heart. I think I need a dose now! Let's pray!


 

Dear God, o how wonderful You are to give us physical reminders of Your love, Your humor, and Your desire for Your children to experience joy unspeakable. Thank You for using children to brighten up this world. Thank You for my two boys, Lord, that do my heart so good. But mostly, God, I thank You for You. You didn't have to do this for me but You want me to know love like You have for me. Through these kids I see it; I see You. Now that is awesome!

In Jesus' Name I thank You! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to read today!